this is one of my favorite dishes. i even think that Nini loves it even more than i do. but then again Nini loves all pasta in any shape or form and in all types of sauce. this is a recipe mommy makes all the time because everyone loves it and it takes her almost no time at all to prepare.
1 pound dry fettuccine
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 ounces of diced pancetta
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large eggs
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
freshly ground black pepper
*1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. cook the fettuccine in a large pot of boiling salted water for about 12 minutes or until the pasta is al dente (tender yet a bit firm). while the pasta is boiling prepare the sauce. you want to add the pasta to the sauce right when it is finished boiling as the hot pasta cooks the raw eggs in the sauce.
2. to prepare the sauce - heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. add the pancetta and saute for 3-4 minutes or until it becomes crisp and the fat is rendered. reserve some of the crisp pancetta for garnish if you wish. add the minced garlic and *red pepper flakes to the pan and saute until soft, about a minute.
3. in a separate mixing bowl, whisk the eggs the cheese together until the mixture is smooth and creamy
4. drain the boiled pasta. reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water in case you need to thin out the sauce later on.
5. add the boiled fettuccine to the skillet with the sauce and toss well to cover all the strands of pasta. remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the egg mixture. toss the pasta well in order to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
6. if the sauce appears a bit thick, thin it out by adding the reserved pasta water until the desired consistency is reached.
7. season the fettuccine with several turns of freshly ground pepper and garnish with reserved pancetta.
8. serve with roasted asparagus for a complete and satisfying meal!
* add the red pepper flakes if making this dish for adults only
recipes and images © diaper style memoirs