these cupcakes were the runaway hit of my birthday party! everyone thought that mommy got them at some specialty bakery. everyone was really amazed to find out that mommy baked them just for me. i think it was the glitter that tricked everyone into thinking that these cakes were some sort of delicacy. i wonder if my guests would have enjoyed them just as much if they knew how simple it was to create them?
the key to this cupcake is presentation. these beautiful baking cups from Paper Eskimo do most of the decorating work for you. they come in many different patterns and gorgeous colors and you bake your cake right in them. it really doesn't get much easier than that! the cakes come out perfectly each time and there is no need to mess with fluted baking cups or cupcake pans. you can use any cupcake recipe you like or you can take a shortcut and use a pre-made baking mix. i usually opt to make my own cupcake batter but in a party situation when time is of the essence, i get some help from Ghirardelli. their chocolate bunt cake mix makes a delicious cupcake! the edible glitter dust is the other decorating secret. it really gives these cupcakes a gorgeous sheen and sparkle. paper cutout butterflies from seller paperpyro finish off the cakes. and there is also a tasty little treat hidden right in the center.
36 baked-off chocolate cupcakes per the directions of your cake mix of choice (if you prefer to make your own and need a recipe click here)
1 cup of mixed berry jam
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar
5 large egg whites, room temperature
pinch of salt
4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
gel food coloring of your choice
1. fill the cupcakes - let your cupcakes cool to room temperature. once they are cool enough to handle, take an apple corer or a small round cookie cutter and cut out a hole in the center of each cupcake. fill each cake with mixed berry jam.
2. make the swiss meringue buttercream frosting by placing sugar, egg whites, and salt in a heatproof mixer bowl set over a pot of simmering water and whisking until the sugar dissolves and the the mixture registers 160 degrees on a candy thermometer.
3. attach the bowl to the mixer and whisk on medium speed for 5 minutes. increase speed to medium-high, and whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 6 minutes. reduce the speed to medium and add the butter one piece at a time. make sure to whisk well between each addition. whisk in vanilla extract.
4. color the frosting by adding food coloring gel to the buttercream in small additions until you reach your perfect shade. if you are going to do two different colors, divide the buttercream in half and whisk in the food coloring in separate batches.
5. pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes using your piping tip of choice.
6. sprinkle the cupcakes with glitter dust. a little goes a long way.
7. add butterflies to the cakes to finish, or adorn them as you like.
8. enjoy the "oohs" and "aahs" that will surely follow!
recipe and images © diaper style memoirs